Saturday, November 21, 2015

Different

Ok so it's been a while since I blogged. I started working recently. I been at this job for like 3 weeks. I work at a school, no not my girls school. Sucks but my hours are good to be able to take my girls to school and be home with them in the evening.
   So I have noticed the school I work at is way different than the school my girls go to. One obvious difference is that the kids don't wear uniforms. Another big difference is that my girls school the vast majority of kids are of the Hispanic or black ethnicity. The school I work at majority white kids. It was kind of funny one day I had 2 kids get hurt on the playground so I sent them to the nurse. A little girl came up and asked what these kids looked like. I did not wanna answer that question. First of all I am new I don't know all the kids news, second of all these kids all look the same to me! So when she asked me who I sent to the nurse I said 2 boys, she asked what did they look like, I said ummm boys. She kept asking what they looked like so I said white boys I don't know who, then she goes was one paler than the other....I paused ummm they both were white what was the difference. She kept asking questions. I had to tell her honestly I don't know!! She finally just ran away. It tickled me tho her questions. Maybe it was a good thing they didn't wear uniform cuz then I really wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Lol
        But one major thing I have noticed with these kids are that they lie like no bodies business.  I am not used to kids lieing like that and even to the teachers faces. I had playground duty and someone lost a jacket so I figured I would ask who's it was. THEY ALL LIED TO ME!!! All of them said different names. I could understand group of boys trying to be cool but the whole dang grade level gathered around me and all LIED!!! I couldn't believe it. Another instance I asked a student a question about handwriting and he answered me but when I asked him in front of his teacher he lied. He even tried to con me into doing his work for him! I couldn't believe it!
    First of all I have done many volunteer hours at my girls school. I have spent many hours with all the kids there. Not once did I get treated like that. My girls have been at this same school about 6 years!! I have asked students about belongings that were left out on the playground or on the bus and not once did a student lie to me or mutiple students lie to me. Instead I got multiple students helping me find who it belonged to, or even helping me take it to the principal to find who it belonged to. Also if they didn't understand the homework or classwork I didn't any coning into doing for them instead I heard the students ask for help or asking to stay for tutoring.
       I talked with a teacher I work with and she said oh yeah that's how they are here. I talked to the principal  and music teacher at my girls school and it was amazing what is built into this school. The music teacher told me "oh yeah we are the best because here we are family. Here we care for each other and we instill in the students characteristics that they need to be a successful adult not just education." The principal even said "yes we do a lot for the students and family and we actually really care for our families." I wanted to cry because my girls are really blessed here at this school. I haven't heard of bullying and if there is the teachers and the principal gather together and put a stop to it. Even when I talk to others about our school I always get that our school is the best in the district. People have taken thier kids out of school and the next year they come back saying that the school they went to was no where as good as our school.
    In the end one thing I have learned is not all school are the same. Yes they are all a place of education but not all have principals and teachers that actually care for thier students and families. No public or private school can have what is instilled in our students. It takes many caring people to build that, to instill it into our students. So I totally recommend our school to those that their kids are having a really hard time in school cuz I know they will make time to make your student feel welcome.  To any future teachers or teachers please care for your students like if they were your own. Your making an impact in someone's life what kind of impression do you want to leave?

No comments:

Post a Comment